Saturday, September 29, 2007

My brother and I have an 11-year age gap but we are very close. Since he is my baby brother, I took care of him and taught him his first ABC's, his first words were "chi-chi" my nickname which made my mother very jealous. I am very protective of him, I remember one time when he was in 2nd grade he came home crying with a bleeding nose and told me that his classmate was bullying him but he didn't fight back because we told him it was wrong to pick up a fight, the next day I went to his school scolded her teacher and warned the bully that hit my brother and made him cry... (yeah, I know I shouldn't have but I just couldn't help it) I'm a spoiler and I tend to give him almost whatever he wants. We rarely fight because my brother alone understands my tantrums and my mood swings (yeah, I'm a bit dominant and bossy).

When he went to the same high school as I did, he was always frustrated because he was always surrounded by my shadows and achievements. There was this instance that he failed Math and when I talked to his teacher, who was also my teacher back then the teacher said "oh he's your brother? but you were excellent in math" (yeah, I'm a bit brainy and never had a problem in my studies) I know my brother was pressured in a way because everyone was expecting him to be as good as I was, as popular as I was and he always told me that he can never be like me. I always told him that he doesn't have to, he must find his own path and I don't expect him to be just like me.

When I accompanied him for his college applications, I told him to take the course he wants and I won't be forcing him to take up engineering. I want him to excel in what he wants and I don't want him to go through what I went through when I was forced to take up engineering instead of becoming a journalist.

I have always been proud of him, he successfully walked passed through my shadows. He is now a certified rocker, he knows how to play the drums, bass & lead guitar. He's an excellent photographer, director and a brown-belter in Taekwondo. My baby is all grown up! Last night, he made a major breakthrough his concept for their radio advertisement for the 2nd Student Ad Congress won Gold. I'm delighted and happy for him, a wonderful birthday gift for him this Monday and truly I am very proud of him. I thank the Lord everyday for making him my brother.


Labels:


12:08 PM |

5 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Nor said........
I love your blog's lay-out and the topics you have been covering here.

OnT:

As a kuya myself, I can relate well with you for I did that just that with 4 siblings. That I find most gratifying, if not fulfilling.

Cheers to you! ^ ^,
 


At 11:18 PM, Blogger Gattina said........
I have been an only child, but never suffered from it, lol ! When I see sometimes how siblings behave together then I am glad that I have only friends who I can choose myself.

BTW I publish pictures of the Garda Lake in Italy tomorrow, from my holidays so if you are interested ...
 


At 9:57 PM, Blogger Emmyrose said........
Thank you Ronnie :)

Four siblings w0w, i had a younger sister but she died a few years back, now its only me and my brother :)
 


At 9:57 PM, Blogger Emmyrose said........
Gattina, the pictures were lovely. nice vacation you had there :)
 


At 12:31 PM, Blogger Sophie said........
aww...my brother and I are 12 years apart, so I know the feeling. Sometimes I wonder if the love I have for him will be similar to the love I have for my own children, I really am grateful he's in my life...sometimes he'd even help me get through tough times...even at age 5 he would bring me flowers picked from our front yard :), I think my brother has been one of my greatest inspirations in life. Getting to be a big sister is a blessing :D.