Thursday, October 04, 2007

13 Helpful Relationship Advice


1. Don't allow experience to harden your heart; rather use it to become more aware and sensitive..

2. Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations.

3. Try not to think in terms of forever. Think of now, and forever will take care of itself. Recognize that all relationships cannot be forever. Recognize their temporary quality, but continue to act as if they are permanent.

4. Expect to invest a great deal of time and energy in your relationships. Lasting relationships don't just happen, they are created.

5. Never force anyone to do anything for you "in the name of love." Love is not to be bargained for.

6. Don't brood. Get on with living and loving. You don't have forever.

7. Don't lose touch with the craziness in you. This, with a large dose of caring, will assure that your relationship will never be boring.

8. Always start a relationship by asking: Do I have ulterior motives for wanting to relate to this person? Is my caring conditional? Am I trying to escape something? Am I planning to change the person? Do I need this person to help me make up for a deficiency in myself? If your answer to any of these questions is "Yes", leave the person alone. He or she is better off without you.

9. Keep the child in you alive and playing.

10. Don't be afraid of disagreements and arguments, the only people who don't argue are people who don't care or are dead. In fact, don't have short arguments. Make certain they are thoroughly over and done with.
After an argument is over, forget it.

11. Let go of pride. It is usually false, creates barriers and prevents closeness.

12. Even though you are only half of a relationship, you must remain a whole person, apart from the relationship.

13. Don't allow your relationships to die of NEGLECT and put God on the CENTER.


Labels: ,


12:22 AM |

17 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
What a great advices,Em! Taking notes here:)

Happy TT!
 


At 9:29 AM, Blogger FL Sam said........
Great Post. :)
 


At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Very good advice. Thank you.
 


At 10:49 AM, Blogger Lori said........
What a great list...for someone so young, you know alot of stuff about alot of stuff;)Im impressed!! Words to live by. You can link me up anytime...Im honored. Happy TT Sweetie!!
 


At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
This was so beautiful, I've even bookmarked it.
 


At 10:59 AM, Blogger SandyCarlson said........
Good stuff. I need all of it. Thanks.

My TT is at

http://slcthoughts.blogspot.com
 


At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Great list.
 


At 11:39 AM, Blogger candyQ said........
Great advice! I'm going to tell a friend of mine about this because this is exactly what she needs to read right now. :o)
 


At 1:53 PM, Blogger Eimi said........
I wish I knew 2 a few days ago. :/
 


At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Very interesting list..I find #3 very true..
 


At 6:03 PM, Blogger Bloggers said........
Great advice. I am a brooder.

My 13 is up on
Working at Home mom
 


At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Great advice! glad I stopped by!

I have a 14th. Don't text message each other. It leads to mistrust and an unhealthy attachment to your phone and you end up practically stalking your lover.

my tt is on why I hate texts. :-) Even though I am addicted to them.
 


At 10:48 PM, Blogger Gattina said........
Very good advices ! Some of them I follow already the others will come (I hope, lol)
I finally could thank you for the award you gave to me some time ago, I hadn't time yet because of my holidays, sorry !
 


At 1:33 AM, Blogger Bethanne said........
I like thirteen the best. :)
Happy TT. Feel free to come and visit mine.
 


At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
They're all good pieces of advice, but 5 and 8 are particularly important, because our culture tells us the opposite. Well Done!
 


At 12:49 PM, Blogger Lori said........
You've been tagged my friend....come and see!!
 


At 9:00 AM, Blogger Miss Kurdapya said........
NICE! ok sister, we will follow the advices.
But, i'm 101% sure, if the right one comes along...we're going to forget almost everything written here! hehehe!

Happy weekend!