Thursday, March 27, 2008


13 Best Break Up Songs
(with my favorite lines)

1. Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler (My personal favorite)

"I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark./ We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks. / I really need you tonight, forever's gonna start tonight, forever's gonna start tonight."

2. I Can't Make You Love Me by Bonnie Rait

"Morning will come and I'll do what's right/Just give me till then to give up this fight/And I will give up this fight"

3. Tainted Love (I'm not really sure who sang this)

"Once I ran to you (I ran) Now I'll run from you /This tainted love you've given /I give you all a boy could give you /Take my tears and that's not livin'/Oh...tainted love Tainted love"

4. "Goodbye To You"

"Those times I waited for you seem so long ago/ I wanted you far too much to ever let you go /You know you never got by "I feel it too" /And I guess I never could stand to lose It's such a pity to say"

5. Good Riddance by Green Day

"It's not a question/But a lesson learned in time/It's something unpredictable/But in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life"

6. How do I Live Without You by LeAnne Rimes

"How do I live without you, I want to know/ How do I breathe without you, if you ever go/ How do I ever, ever survive/ How do I, how do I, oh how do I live"

7. Don't Let It End by Styx

"What will I do/ If you say we're through/ I need you to stay, honey/ Don't let it end this way."

8. You'll See by Madonna

"You think that you are strong, but you are weak/You'll see,/It takes more strength to /cry, admit defeat./I have truth on my side,/You only have deceit"

9. If You're Gone by Matchbox 20

"I think you're already gone/ I think I'm finally scared now/ You think I'm weak - But I think you're wrong/ I think you're already leaving/ Feels like your hand is on the door/ I thought this place was an empire/ But now I'm relaxed - I can't be sure"

10. Even Now by Barry Manilow (another personal favorite)

"Even now when I never hear your name, And the world has changed so much since you’ve been gone, Even now I still remember, And the feeling’s still the same
And this pain inside of me goes on and on.."

11. One Last Cry by Brian McKnight

"One last cry, before I leave it all behind, I've gotta put you outta my mind this time, Stop living a lie, I guess I'm down to my last cry.."

12. I'm not Supposed To Love You Anymore by Bryan White

"I shouldn't care or wonder where and how you are, But I can't hide this hurt inside my broken heart, I'm fighting back emotions that I've never fought before 'Cause I'm not supposed to love you anymore.."

13. Last but definitely not the least the classic "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor

"It took all the strength I had not to fall apart, kept trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart and I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for myself, I used to cry, Now I hold my head up high..."

Labels: , ,


5:18 PM |

4 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger K. said........
FABULOUS list - I love so many of these. I think Total Eclipse of the Heart is just the all around best girl song of all time, but I Will Survive is pretty fantastic, too.

I looked up Tainted Love because I couldn't remember, either, and it looks like Soft Cell is the version most people are familiar with, but that was actually a cover. The first version of that song came out in 1964. Wow.
 


At 9:21 PM, Blogger Malcolm said........
Thanks for including some of the lyrics to these songs. I never knew that "We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks" is what Bonnie Tyler was singing.

I actually met Brian McKnight a few years ago. He was a very tall and seemingly nice guy.
 


At 9:29 PM, Blogger Lori said........
Great list. #4 reminds me of High School break ups. I use to play it all the time because my bf and I were always fighting:)I ended up marrying him but that didnt last long. Happy TT my friend.
 


At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
great list! Here is one for you too look up... haha! I find it sufficiently angry for a breakup.

Untouchable face by Ani Difranco. LOL